A Morning at City Hall

June 18, 2012

Picture from City of Toronto website
Everyone in Toronto has to have an SIN number, whether they're immigrants or on temporary work permits. I'd been putting off a trip to City Hall to register for mine... largely because when I pity Government offices of any kind, I picture long waits, tons of documentation, and plenty of tedious form filling. Suffice to say that I'd reached my month's quota of form filling by the time I cleared customs and immigration.

It was only when I realized that I need a SIN number to even apply for jobs that I set out for City Hall on the double. I have to say, I  like the old City Hall building a lot, it's bursting with character and reminds me, oddly, of India. The new building, though, is bursting with efficiency and I was super impressed with how easy it was to figure out which line to join, what form to fill (it had just 8 questions!) and so on.

I'll get my SIN 10 days from now, and then this move may start to feel more real than it has so far. We're still living out of suitcases, in temporary accommodation courtesy AirBnB (a website I highly recommend to people visiting cities and looking for cost efficient home-like spaces in which to stay) and this is my first concrete step towards being less of a tourist and more of a here-I-am. I've met so many people in the last few days, and they always tell me where they're from, and when Toronto became their new home. I guess my story probably starts around here.*Big grin*

No comments:

Post a Comment